- Faulty Math – A small miscalculation can throw off all your numbers and get you into trouble with the IRS.
- Name Changes and Misspellings – If you’ve recently changed your legal name, let the Social Security Administration know.
- Omitting Extra Income – If you’ve taken any side jobs during the year, fill out a 1099-MISC and file it along with your taxes.
- Recent Tax Law Changes – When preparing your taxes, be sure to file according to the most recent laws.
- Signing Your Forms – If filing the old-fashioned way, put your signature wherever required. If filing online, you can use a PIN instead.
Know of any other commonly made mistakes when it comes to filing taxes? We’d love to hear about it!